The UAE issues two types of transit visas: one for 48 hours which is free of charge, and another for 96 hours for AED 50 only. Transit visas are sponsored only by the UAE-based airlines and must be processed and approved before entering the UAE. Both types of transit visas are not extendable.
Who can apply for your transit visa?
Only the UAE based-airlines you are travelling through can arrange your transit visa prior to your journey. If your trip is through a travel agency, the agency can also help you get the visa, but all visas are routed through the airline. Airline agents can apply online for transit visas through one of the following means:
- The eChannels portal
- The ICA UAE eChannels app for Apple and Android
- online channels offered by the relevant General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) in each emirate.
Duration of transit visa
Transit visa is issued either for 48 hours or for 96 hours. Please note that once a 48 hours visa is issued, it cannot be extended to 96 hours.
Transit visas for 48 hours
Transit visas for 48 hours are issued free of charge to passengers transiting through the UAE’s airports. You need to apply for the visa in advance through a UAE-based airline. This visa is not extendable, nor renewable. The validity of the visa is 48 hours from entry into the UAE, and you must leave the UAE within 48 hours from arrival.
To get a transit visa, you must have:
- a passport or travel document with a minimum validity of three months
- a photo of self against a white background
- an onward ticket booking to a 3rd destination, other than the one you are coming from.